Saturday, February 18, 2017

TWO GUYS, TWO QUILTS

Here are two long-time instructors holding up their retirement quilts. One taught Art, one taught English. The art quilt was a collaborative effort. I created small framed blocks and asked his colleagues to create little masterpieces. Two of his long-time students were senior citizen sisters that I hadn't seen in a while. One day I ran into one of the sisters by accident, asked if she and her sister were interested in creating artworks for the quilt. She was, but didn't know if she could return them by the deadline. I said that if they didn't get them back, I would just create a smaller quilt to accompany this one. The two blocks came back in plenty of time and the masterpiece quilt was the result. The English teacher wore very interesting ties; he was also a very interesting person and one of the college's first students. I thought of a shirt, a crazy tie, and glasses for his quilt. I tried to draft a pattern for a shirt, but found it MUCH easier to press a shirt, fold it, and applique it on to the quilt. At the reception, there was a stack of notes that friends could write and stuff into the shirt pocket. Do you think these two liked their quilts? Pictures don't lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment